Department of Physiology
For over 200 years, the Department of Physiology has been at the forefront of academic, research training, and advancement of scientific discoveries. Our department has a comprehensive research-intensive background in neuroscience and metabolic regulation. Among other things, we examine the mechanisms underlying anxiety disorders and depression. The department reassembles physiological processes at the molecular, cellular, tissue, and whole-organism levels providing a bridge to translational medicine. We use a number of techniques covering molecular biology, cell biology, bioenergetics and biochemistry. Alongside this, we use transgenic animal models, behavioural studies, surgical procedures and MRI.
Participation in Estonian and international committees, decision making bodies and contribution to scientific organizations
- Tartu University Hospital: Eero Vasar, member of council
- Estonian Science Academy: Eero Vasar, member
- European COST activity CA17130 - Enhancing Psychiatric Genetic Counselling, Testing, and Training in Europe (EnGagE): Eero Vasar, Representatives of Estonia
- Horizon2020: Eero Vasar, reviewer of grant proposals for systems medicine
- European COST activity CA20121 - Bench to bedside transition for pharmacological regulation of NRF2 in noncommunicable diseases: Kattri-Liis Eskla, Management Committee member