Anatomy has always been a subject taught at the University of Tartu. It has been like that since the opening of the University in 1632. After the re-opening of the University in 1802 it took three years to complete the first building of the Medical Faculty which was specifically designed for teaching of anatomy. Nowadays we know that building as the Tartu Old Anatomical Theatre. Almost for two hundred years Department of Anatomy was located in the Old Anatomical Theatre. The modern premises for the teaching of anatomy were established in 1999 when Department of Anatomy, together with other pre-clinical departments, moved to the Biomedicum, the biomedical centre of the Medical Faculty. From 2016 Department of Anatomy belongs to the Institute of Biomedicine and Translational Medicine and is formed of the Chair of Human Anatomy and the Chair of Histology and Embryology.
Andres Arend – Head of the Department of Anatomy, Chair of Histology and Embryology
Kersti Kokk – Chair of Human Anatomy
Most of the staff members of the Department of Anatomy are the members of the Morphological Society of Estonia and the Finnish society Anatomici Fenniae. Department of Anatomy participates in the annual meetings of the Anatomici Fenniae and in Baltic Morphology conferences organized in cooperation with the anatomical societies of Latvia and Lithuania.
More information can be found from CV-s of the staff members in the Estonian Research Information System ETIS.