Our current focus
Our research integrates metabolomics, biochemistry and vascular functional-structural studies into translational medical outputs for disease prevention, diagnostics (including subclinical), and development of advanced therapies. As an integration of clinical metabolomics, biochemical methods and functional-structural analysis of arteries, we have been developing research over the last two years so that the aggregate output of the next six years will make a significant contribution to the development of a novel translational medicine research platform (arteriobolomics). The main focus is on cardiovascular disease (particularly atherosclerosis of the lower limbs), primary episode psychosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) as one of the main causes of disability and death in the European Union.
In Estonia – Endothelial Center, Department of Pulmonology, Cardiology, Psychiatry, Dermatology and Venereology in Tartu University Hospital, The North Estonia Medical Centre
International – Cardiff University, Cambridge University, Uppsala University, Macquarie University, Kings College in London, Institute of biotechnology in Manchester, etc.
Companies – BioCC OÜ, VF Bioscience France
The biopanks of Estonian Genome Center and Endothelial Center
Five patents over the past five years, total patents in 28 countries.
The five most important publications in the last five years
- Parksepp, M, Haring, L, Kilk, K, Taalberg, E, Kangro ,R, Zilmer, M, Vasar, E. A Marked Low-Grade Inflammation and a Significant Deterioration in Metabolic Status in First-Episode Schizophrenia: A Five-Year Follow-Up Study. Metabolites, 2022 Oct 17;12(10):983. doi: 10.3390/metabo12100983
- Parksepp, M, Leppik L, Koch, K, Uppin K, Kangro R, Haring L, Vasar E, Zilmer M. Metabolomics approach revealed robust changes in amino acid and biogenic amine signatures in patients with schizophrenia in the early course of the disease. Sci. Rep.2020,0:13983, doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-71014-w
- Kasepalu, T Kuusik, K, Lepner, U, Starkopf, J, Zilmer M, Eha, J, Vähi ,M, Kals, J. Clinical Study. Remote Ischaemic Preconditioning Reduces Kidney Injury Biomarkers in Patients Undergoing Open Surgical Lower Limb Revascularisation: A Randomised Trial. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2020, doi.org/10.1155/2020/7098505
- Leppik, L, Parksepp, M, Janno, S, Koido, K, Haring, L, Vasar E, Zilmer, M. Profiling of lipidomics before and after antipsychotic treatment in first-episode psychosis. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2020 Jan 2. doi: 10.1007/s00406-018-0971-6.
- Leppik, L, Kriisa, K, Koido, K, Koch, K, Kajalaid, K, Haring, L, Vasar E, Zilmer, M. Profiling of Amino Acids and Their Derivatives Biogenic Amines Before and After Antipsychotic Treatment in First-Episode Psychosis. Front Psychiatry.2018Apr24; 9:155.