Chair of Human Genetics
Chair of Human Genetics, led by Prof. Maris Laan was established at the University of Tartu (UT) in 2003-2004 with the support of Wellcome Trust International Senior Fellowship. Since 2016, the chair is positioned and active at the Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Biomedicine and Translational Medicine. Before, the team was affiliated with the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Faculty of Science and Technology.
Its scientific ‘keywords’ are medical and reproductive genetics, genetics and molecular etiology of infertility and pregnancy complications to be investigated by advanced DNA and RNA sequencing tools, translational research in medicine with the focus on genetics discoveries and novel biomarkers.
- Maris Laan – human genetics and medical genetics; male and meeste reproductive genetics, pregnancy and placental research, cardiovascular genetics
- Kristiina Rull – obstetrics and gynecology; recurrent pregnancy loss, biomarker research in pregnancy complications
Human health starts from the health and integrity of his or her genome
Participation in Estonian and international committees, decision making bodies and contribution to scientific organizations
- Estonian Society of Human Genetics (EstSHG), M. Laan president 2017–2019
- Estonian Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology: K. Rull as the head of expertise evaluation commitee
- Estonian Research Council: M. Laan, subsitute member of the evaluation committee; K. Rull, national competiion of student research, member of the committee
- Estonian Academy of Sciences: M.Laan, National Science Award committee, member
- European Society of Human Genetics (ESHG), M. Laan as the member of the programme committee of the ESHG annual conferences 2017–2021
- European Academy of Andrology (EAA), M. Laan as the member of the Educational Committee and organizor of EAA School in Genetics
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE), K. Rull as the Estonian representative
- ESHRE lead journal Human Reproduction, M. Laan as the Associate editor