Outbreaks of infectious diseases are increasing due to multiple local and global interaction changes disrupting the fragile balance of the complex human-animal-environment ecosystem. The increased frequency and complexity of health threats require a different, unified form of preparedness and a coordinated, fast, reliable and effective emergency response.
DURABLE is a tailored solution to this recognised need - a strong network of world-class basic and translational research institutes and public health centres across Europe with an outstanding track record in public health support with global reach. DURABLE aims to provide high-quality scientific information in record time to support HERA’s decision-making in preparing for and responding to cross-border health threats and assessing the impact of countermeasures.
DURABLE will coordinate a global collaboration, from pathogen detection, evolutionary analysis and threat characterisation, with One Health approach, to data and information collection and sharing, for optimal threat response. DURABLE is a unique multidisciplinary consortium with complementary expertise to meet this challenge and build productive interactions with HERA and other stakeholders.
Due to their outstanding track record and experience in the field, the DURABLE consortium is competent from day one. DURABLE will develop and validate a roadmap for rapid deployment of key countermeasures, test the robustness of the network, and assess key aspects of its emergency mode when simulating or dealing with identified threats. Additionally, DURABLE will focus on long-term sustainability by focusing on capacity building, training the next generation of researchers and developing pandemic preparedness training modules for the network and beyond.
2. Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (KU LEUVEN) Belgium
3. Statens Serum Institut (SSI) Denmark
6. Erasmus Medisch Centrum Rotterdam (EMC) Netherlands
8. Universite d’Aix Marseille (AMU) France
9. Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu (RIVM) Netherlands
10. Universita Degli Studi di Padova (UNIPD) Italy
12. Agencia Estatal Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (CSIC) Spain
13. Helsingin Yliopisto (UH) Finland
16. Univerzita Karlova (CU) Czech Republic
17. Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS) Italy
18. Tartu Ülikool (UTARTU) Estonia
19. Hrvatski Zavod za Javno Zdravstvo (CIPH) Croatia